Friday, April 29, 2011

Spring!

A poem by A. E. Housman to celebrate -- at long last -- spring!

LOVELIEST of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.

An English professor shared that poem recently at Union, and I thought about it on my run this morning (solo, 5.8 miles, 9:10 pace) through Central Park in Schenectady. Everything is in bloom. I can't remember the crocuses coming up but all of the sudden - WHAM! -- forsythias, daffodils, tulips, etc. The park has a really amazing rose garden which is something to look forward to. I like this run because it's flat and scenic. There are always people walking dogs and there is a dog park in the confines of old tennis courts---mainly rottweilers, doberman pinschers, pitbulls and mutts...the dogs of Schenectady. All of the owners have been friendly and responsible. I just don't like coming up behind them while running around the pond, but so far no worries. A nice run before work. I was late but worked through lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment