Thursday, April 28, 2011

running yoga

This morning at 6 am we had our third running-yoga class. Tracy, Amy, and I are the only participants which I think works nicely. We are fun. Try not to be too silly. We came as: GRUMPY (Tracy), SLEEPY (Amy, just back from florida), and DOPEY (moi, no coffee, not awake, who am I?) expecting yoga to be the perfect panacea.

The class was heavy on the breathing (not to be confused with breathing heavily) which was disappointing to Tracy who is queen stretcher (not to be confused with queen on a stretcher). Yes, yoga transformed me from DOPEY to PUNCHY. We practiced breathing properly---full and rhythmic, using the diaphragm and ribs to fill and empty oxygen to our lungs. Inhalation, exhalation...energy and release. Ahhhhh. Ujjayi breath, no problem. 30 second rapid short breath sequences, bring it on. Alternate nostril breathing deserves more detail.

We sat "comfortably" (still very stiff, ouch) cross legged with left hand rested on knee, palms up with pointer finger and thumb touching. The right hand has thumb, ring finger and little finger touching. We started by closing our right nostril with right thumb and inhaling deeply for count of six or so seconds through left nostril. Hold for another 6 or so counts with pinky and ring finger pinching nostril closed. Exhaled "slowly and fully" through the right nostril...and hold. Repeat. I had only one thought throughout this exercise: snot rockets! If I worked my core and maximized my breathing capacity I could shoot a snot rocket to the moon. Women, I think, are shy about this. We hold tissues while running or stuff them into our running tights when we have no pockets. Men on bikes--watch out! Quick and assertive with their snot rockets. I am on alert while riding behind a man. Mike tried to teach me last year but with my cycling shoes attached I thought I might lean too much while blowing and wipe out. So I just sniffed away, used the back of my hand or surrendered my sleeve.

Anyway, we got to the stretching and did some challenging (for me) sequences. Lowering to Plank is difficult "Elbows in, Blair!" while keeping knees off ground. Also challenging was instructor "Gina" telling us to continue at our own pace. What? Remember that 20 pose sequence? I am a follower in yoga, not a leader. I peeked over at Tracy to follow her but I am very careful not to make eye contact because that could be disasterous. We make do. Overall, a good workout. I know that if I committed to doing these stretches at night (while playing Scrabble???) I'd have more tone, strength and energy.

The class ends and this time Gina does not ask us if we want to run (we said no twice before to extend stretching portion) so we sneak out, look at the ominous clouds above and head straight to Starbucks. Husbands have get-kids-ready-for-school-and-put-on-bus duty on Thursdays---another good, healthy reason to keep up with yoga!

Our coffee debriefing is enjoyable as always. Pouring, dumping rain outside, no guilt with passing up a run. No more grumpiness or fatigue or head in fog. A nice way to start the day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment