Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 1 of training - hills

This morning Amy, Tracy, and I headed out for a hill workout. We paid the price for not maintaining a good workout schedule this winter. The weekends away for hockey led to eating out a lot and skipping long runs on Sundays. SIGH. No chance to train for MORE half marathon -- we skipped it for the first time in five years. So now we're beginning in April training that we usually start in January...

I kinda like running hills. I see one coming up and I feel adrenaline rush through me, quickening my heart rate and accelerating my pace as I get to the base. I don't look up for the most part. I feel my body working hard and I have to dig deep. Today I even had to put on my Ragnar warrior face when we pushed through the last hill. I was a little light headed afterward and thankfully brought water. I have never been good about hydration.

I find myself relying less and less on music when I run. Doing hills used to be reason to get a good play list going but this morning I left my ipod at the hut at the top of the hill. The headphone wire was tangling and annoying me. I also wanted full use of my arms without risking yanking the wire and pulling the earphones out. I didn't miss the ipod when I left it behind.

We ran a steep hill four times, walking a short distance in between and taking water to cool down. I knew if I did more than four I'd be seeking out my pillow afterwards. I've got too much going on right now on weekends to sacrifice an afternon with a long nap. I'm all about 20 minute rests but on days that I push my body really hard I sometimes sink into a deep sleep and awaken feeling groggy and sluggish.

My Ragnar legs are 6.1 hard, 7.8 very hard, 3.4 easy. I haven't looked at the course yet but know that my middle leg is North Shore Drive in Lake George. I know every inch of the road. I was a little concerned that I'd be out in the middle of Keene Valley without a clue where I am, which can be creepy at 1:00 am. Now I might try to recruit some friends to run that leg with me. It will be difficult to do late at night. The hill by the cemetary is steep. It's a straight line which is good for someone with NO sense of direction whatsoever. I ran a 10 mile Lake Shore Drive race back
in college. I was out until 1 am or so eating chicken wings and drinking beer and dreamt that I had missed the race and was really mad at myself. So I woke up early, put on my brand new running shoes, stuck my key inside them and headed out the door. I went out WAY too fast and died at mile 7. Awful. That night I had blood blisters under my toenails and had to waitress at the Algonquin. I hobbled along, apologizing to customers who seemed rather amused by my wobbling. Now I'm 20 years older and feel better prepared than I did then.

Anyway, Ragnar is HILLS, HILLS, HILLS so Amy, Tracy, and I decided no more flat runs, even when we're running long. We're going to take turns being in charge of the weekend workout. Next weekend is Easter, I have a wedding to go to on Saturday, so I am coming up with a route on Good Friday. 8-10 miles with some decent hills packed in.

I'm looking forward to shedding my 8 lbs of winter weight. No wine last night, no wine tonight. Mindy gave me some tips yesterday while we ran 4. She is incredibly fit and eats like a nutritionist so I will try heed her advice: ONE cup coffe, EIGHT glasses of water (hmmmmm), cut back on wine, eat lots of protein (2-3 egg whites with one yolk mixed with spinach and feta for breakfast), Greek yogurt (ick) with fresh fruit (yum), plain oatmeal (ick) with cinnamin (yum), salads, chicken, fish...I like most of her recommendations so it shouldn't be terrible.

Tortola is four weeks away and I can't fit into my summer clothes. I think if I keep up no wine and up the running I'll be all right. I'm not buying bigger clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment