Monday, November 18, 2013

New York City Marathon

I'm in for 2014. 50 weeks. Tracy and I went for a run yesterday for the first time in months. I'm recovering from a heel injury and back-to-school mayhem. I said let's do "short run, long coffee." Sounded perfect. We met at the bike path for a "zen run" and she all-too-casually mentioned that her friend John (a cancer survivor with whom she has run two half marathons) will be part of a fundraising team for New York. His sister who lives on Long Island is organizing a team of four, they asked Tracy, and she said she'd do it if her running partner could. Hmmmm! The back part of my brain recalled my signing her up for the Reach the Beach relay without asking her because I just KNEW she'd love it even before she did. I have tried to get into NY several times but Tracy wanted NO part of it. Now here we were plotting our strategy with a new mindset: If not now, when? I told her that our friend Diane likened the finish of NY to that of giving birth. Tracy was horrified thinking of the pains of labor but I laughed and clarified - what Diane meant was the euphoria, the feeling of ultimate accomplishment, the off-the-charts sense of pride. At least that's what I thought she meant. I think we can do this. It will be hard work. And my house will get messier.

No comments:

Post a Comment