Saturday, April 23, 2011

MORE 2011 race report

Race Report
MORE Half Marathon, April 3, 2011

I offered to drive down to NYC. Our group comprised the regulars – Tracy and Amy (no Sheryl this time– boo!) and new to MORE but part of our usual running crew: Eileen, Marcy, and Diane. Tracy and I started running together regularly while our boys were in preschool (they’re now nine), and Amy introduced me to the 5:30 am group once I returned to work full-time 2 ½ years ago. GREAT group. Michelle and Stacy were also supposed to come but M got hurt and S went to Rochester for her daughter’s volleyball tournament. Next year.

Six in the car was snug but doable. We packed light. On our way out we stopped at Starbucks and saw Tina, Kelly, and Liz back from their track workout. They’re on a fairly rigid triathlon training schedule. Need to tap into that soon! Love that trips for coffee nearly always mean seeing friends meeting for a workout or returning from one. Positive energy abounds.

We arrived in NYC early afternoon. Checked into NY Marriott East Side, our third year staying there. Text my sister Ali and Allison, her very fun running partner, and walk to meet them at Expo to pick up race numbers. Expo not too impressive but great to see Ali, so happy that she came (from Annapolis) for the race. She and A stayed at NY Athletic Club, definitely a consideration for next year. It’s right on Central Park where the run is held.

After Expo we need to find place to eat lunch. Already 3ish. Hungry. Almost grumpy. After a few failed attempts we stumble upon Markt (676 6th Ave)---THE place where Amy, Tracy, Sheryl and I enjoyed Belgian beers, ehr, I mean a nice lunch, two years ago before MORE and kicked ourselves for not remembering its name. Alleluia! I know this is a race report but Corsendonk (pale) is the most fabulous beer ever!!! Markt will definitely become part of our MORE tradition. Kinda funny, too, that Ali and Allison shared their dishes, as Tracy and I did, indicative of the sisterly relationship of running partners. They were smart to head back to Athletic Club after lunch to chill out while the rest of us walked to Times Square, probably walking six or so miles throughout the day. I did take note: drinking two beers, walking six miles, and going to one of the most over stimulating spots in the world (TS) was probably not the smartest pre-race activity. At least I had comfortable shoes. Diane got blisters … no fun.

We ate dinner at John’s Pizza on Broadway and walked back to hotel. At the hotel, we do our usual stretching exercises led by Tracy, ace physical therapist and yogi. We meet in the larger hotel room and spread out. I am so stiff that I cannot even sit with my legs crossed, which really is a wake-up call. Inflexibility a gross understatement. We had fun, though, sharing funny bridesmaid/wedding stories and headed for bed early.

Good night’s sleep. Glorious morning in Central Park. No 95 degrees like two years ago (when Shelley ran and collapsed unconscious) or relentless pouring rain like last year. 40 degrees and sunny. Perfect. I decide to wear a pair of capris from Amy that I had never worn before but I figure they’ll be warm and cool enough. New running shoes. New socks. All no no’s but I have no worries. We see Ali and Allison at the start but they want to go where their colored race numbers dictate they should be. (Next year they’ll start closer to the starting line with us) There are between 7,500 – 10,000 runners/walkers---all women--in race. There is something really empowering and positive about setting out on an adventure with all women. There were a few brief remarks made at the starting line, including a moment to remember the 27 year-old winner of last year’s MORE, Molly Meyerhoff, who was tragically killed only weeks before in a cycling accident (she got hit by a truck while training on her bike). A tearful and fearful reminder of how precious life is and how one instant can change everything. Molly’s sister was running the MORE this year, and I thought of Ali and how grateful I was to have her nearby. xo

No pre-race jitters, no wandering off solo to keep focus. No fire in my belly. Huh. April came up quickly, considering March felt like mid-winter, not early spring, and I had given no time to consider my usual pre-race obsessions --pace strategy, music selection, outfit, energy snacks, etc. Two weeks before MORE I looked at my pitiful mileage log (top excuses: weather setbacks, awful stomach flu that sucked every ounce of energy out of me for a week), and decided that my goal for MORE was to have a good run in Central Park rather than push myself for a PR. I wanted to enjoy this race if at all possible. And I wanted to run it under two hours. Any pressure I have ever felt running has always been self-inflicted, and I have a tendency to be very hard on myself once the gun goes off. Weird that jogging clears the mind and racing is so mentally straining. Sheryl is very inspiring because she has all of these positive running mantras that keep her going while I often mutter to myself “Go fast, End quicker, This SUUUUUUCKS!” During last year’s MORE I went out too fast, felt really great until mile 10.5, and then became completely miserable. By then I was tired and soaking wet from a steady downpour, and convinced that Mike’s saturated EMS jacket was weighing me down. I knew he’d be pissed off but I had wanted to ditch it for five miles and decided to fling it over the short gate and remember where it was post-run (yea, right). Amazingly, the jacket dropped at the feet of a friend’s sister and she met me at finish line with it. Anyway, I had no gas from mile 10.5 – 13.1 but finished under 2:00 with a time of 1:56. Rather than enjoy a PR, I silently kicked myself hard for going out fast and letting myself feel so miserable. The post-race funk lasted for weeks. I needed a good run.

I begin with my ipod playing Empire State of Mind. I actually get a little choked up because it's so cool being in Central Park on a gorgeous spring morning with my running peeps. I haven’t gotten emotional in a race since I crossing the finish line at my first half in Boston; I had only run 9 miles before and there was a time when I thought I could never ask that distance of my body. I also wear my Garmin which I thought would help pace me. The use of music and Garmin presents the risk of not finding your natural rhythm but I wanted to see if I could keep myself from going out too fast. When I used to race short distances I’d go out fast, try to hold a steady pace and then kick it in at the end. At the 15k Stockadeathon, I went out fast (7:35) for the first 4.5 miles but it was downhill so I let gravity take me, and then the second half I pushed myself uphill and finished at 8:12 pace overall. I was pleased. I wanted to be for MORE too.

The race is two laps around the Park so there is torturous signage with Mile 1/7, 6/12, etc. I try to ignore the second lap numbers. I look at the Garmin trying to guess my pace. Sometimes I think I am crawling and am going 8:20 and other times I thought I should slow it down and am going 9:20. I let myself go between these times because a 9 minute pace is a 2 hour finish. It feels strange to hold myself back a bit. A recent article in Runner’s World talked about a negative split (second half pace faster than first) or a consistent pace as the new ideal. I want to run smart. I relax going up the big hill at 3.7 miles. I do not stop until mile 6 for water. I take Goo right before mile 8 thinking there was a drinking stop (there wasn’t) but find water soon thereafter. I take Gatorade at next stop. I do not think negative thoughts but I'm hardly gleeful. At mile 9 I feel my capris sliding down and recall a college friend commenting that I am built like a tree trunk, no hips, straight down (true). The ipod is clipped to my pants and further weighing them down. I thought of the #irrationalrunningfears tweets I had read and losing clothing was a common fear. I try to clip my ipod to my underwear but they were too low. I unclip the ipod, hoist my pants up and hold it in my hand. Hope MORE cameras didn’t catch me. At mile 10 I once again tire but not completely spent. That is the hard part because the end is not quite in sight but you’re ready for it. I take water at mile 11 knowing I can finish under two hours and knowing it is a stupid thing to do. Waste of time. I kick it in at mile 11 but find myself stuck on the left with walkers and runners slowed down from fatigue. I’d have to go too far out to the right to pass. I decide to weave as best I can. Frustrating but not overly so. The finish line seemed never to come. I finish 1:57 thinking I had run overall a decent race.

We gather at the finish line and hug and kiss and say how wonderful we all are. We pose for a picture at FINISH LINE. We leave Ali and Allison and head back for hot showers and cold champagne. Brunch at nearby Raffles is always a welcome treat. Head home. Stop at Starbucks on Thruway. Drop everyone off. Oh no, Marcie locked out and breaks into her house. Very funny. Mike at hockey with Hanna but Jack and Haley home to greet me. Call Didi. Order pizza. Pick up some wine (first called John at Grapevine Liquors at 5:50 to see if he’d stay open til I got there-- I use the speed I wanted at mile 10 and dash to the car and drive over). Enjoy pizza and wine with Didi and kiddos. Cheers!

Next year:
Train more. Go for PR. Shoot for 8:30 consistent pace. No water at mile 11. Wear pants that fit. Belgian beer the day before? Sure. Mket a must. Maybe take cab to Expo. Lose some weight (pics MORE posted are not friendly and a reminder that I would be faster if 10 lbs thinner). No dinner in Times Square without a reservation. Carmine’s?? Stay at Athletic Club. Recruit Lisa and Mimi. It is a great race. Top five finishers include women over 40. Keep it happy. Go out faster. If I get into NYC ING I should be more fit than ever. We’ll see…

No comments:

Post a Comment